Caramel Apple Cake is a simple and delicious 3 ingredient cake perfect for a quick dessert or potluck dish.
Hi everyone! Today I’m sharing another version of a “dump cake”, which is absolutely my favorite type of quick and easy cake. I talk more about this type of cake over on my Pumpkin Dump Cake post, which is one of my most popular recipes so be sure to check that one out as well!
I love to make a homemade dessert that my family can enjoy throughout the week but unless it’s easy, it usually doesn’t happen! This cake recipe was created as a little experiment of mine to see if I could make a cake with a lot of flavors using just three ingredients. Good news: it worked!
How to make caramel apple cake
This recipe could not be more simple! All you have to do is dump two cans of caramel apple pie filling in a greased 9×13 dish, top that layer with one box of cake mix straight out of the box, and cover with pats of butter. Bake and enjoy. That’s it!
The apple caramel combo is such a classic and the cake mix/butter topping takes it to another level. It reminds me of a crumb topping, without having to cut butter into flour and mix up a bunch of spices (although I enjoy those cakes too). It’s great for cold winter nights, apple season in the fall, Thanksgiving, or even a new take on an apple pie. I love to top it with a little whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Served with ice cream is also a winner!
Variations & Notes
If you’re looking to lighten things up, try using plain sugar free apple pie filling instead of caramel. I’ve made it this way and it’s still just as yummy. You could also follow this recipe but using different pie fillings to try out some different dump cake variations. Peach, cherry, or blueberry are all delicious. The cake mix flavor can also be switched up. For example, yellow cake mix will work if you cannot find the golden butter that I call for in this recipe. You could also use a spice cake mix with your apples for extra fall flavor (it’s amazing)! I’ve also seen versions using cherry pie filling with chocolate cake mix. The possibilities of this easy cake are endless!
I hope you’ll give my Caramel Apple Cake a try! Let me know how you like it here in the comments or over on social media @allthekingsmorsels and #allthekingsmorsels. Happy baking!
Caramel Apple Cake
- 2 20 oz cans caramel apple pie filling
- 1 box golden butter cake mix
- 1 ½ sticks butter sliced into thin pats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add pie filling and spread to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle entire box of cake mix on top of pie filling.
- Place pats of butter on top of the cake mix, covering as evenly and as much of the cake as possible.
- Bake for 40 minutes. A toothpick or knife inserted in the center should come out mostly clean (there may be a little of the pie filling on it).
- Serve warm. Tastes best warm or at room temperature but leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.