Hey folks! Thanksgiving is just a week away and I have a great slow cooker stuffing recipe for when you just don’t have any more “oven real estate” (as my father-in-law says).
I started making my stuffing in the slow cooker years ago when I had just that problem. We had decided to have Thanksgiving at “the river” and we didn’t have a lot of space for cooking. Ask any Southerner about “the river” and they will tell you where this river is located and it will not be the same for anyone else you ask! So anyway. I started googling recipes for slow cooker stuffing and virtually nothing came up. Naturally, I decided to give it a try anyway. The result was a super moist, flavorful, perfect stuffing that took no time to prepare!
This slow cooker stuffing requires just 5 minutes prep and 6 ingredients:
- herb seasoned cubed stuffing mix
- cream of chicken with mushroom soup
- chicken broth
- dried cranberries
Because the diced onion needs to be cooked when it goes in the slow cooker, I just microwave it for 2 minutes with a pat of butter. Could not be more simple! Then I mix everything together in the slow cooker and cook on low for 2 hours. My slow cooker is pretty hot so you can also do the first hour on high and second on low if you think that will work better in yours.
This recipe is not limited to the ingredients listed. I think it would be delicious with just about anything! You could add cooked sausage or mushrooms, apples, celery (I would cook that first too), anything you would traditionally put in your stuffing. Some fresh herbs would also add a nice touch.
The best part about this method is how moist the stuffing is. No one likes dry stuffing on the side of their bird! I think bad dried out stuffing experiences is what turns some people off to stuffing. The secret to this is all the added moisture with the chicken broth, butter, and soup. And since it doesn’t go in the oven, it doesn’t get as dry as your typical stuffing.
This recipe serves 10 but feel free to double that if you have a bigger crowd. Stuffing is also great for leftovers!
I hope this recipe is helpful to you on your busy day of cooking. Let me know if you try it by leaving a comment below or tagging @kristensfixins on social media. Happy cooking! And mostly eating!
Slow Cooker Stuffing
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 stick butter, plus additional tbsp for cooking onion
- 1 12 oz bag herb seasoned cubed stuffing mix
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken with mushroom soup
- 1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Dice onion. Add to a microwave-safe bowl with 1 tbsp butter on top. Cover and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Melt stick of butter in microwave.
- Add onion, melted butter, and remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Mix.
- Cook on low for 2 hours (or 1 hour each on high and then low depending on the heat of your slow cooker).