Howdy everyone! Who loves chocolate? And who loves chocolate that’s acceptable to eat for snacks and not just dessert? Look no further than Chocolate Oat Bites!
But before I get into the recipe, I have some exciting news to share with you. Today is my first day of school! I am studying nutrition in a year-long program at The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. I have been wanting to do the program for several years now and I’m so excited that it worked out for me to start in the same month my oldest son started Kindergarten. Everyone that I’ve known to complete this program says it is a life-changing experience. And just from diving into the orientation materials I can see how that is going to be true! I’ll keep you updated on my new knowledge here on the blog.
OK, now back to chocolate! Does anyone remember those no bake cookies with chocolate, peanut butter, and oats? I had them all the time growing up and still make them regularly today. The recipe I use is from an old church cookbook, which is my absolute favorite kind of book. I have a bit of an addiction and love to collect them. Seriously…if you have any you are looking to get rid of send them my way!
So these Chocolate Oat Bites are a take on the classic no bake cookies but with some healthy substitutions. You can throw these together in about 10 minutes and they only require 7 ingredients to make:
- peanut butter
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- quick cook oats
These little bites are perfect for lunch boxes or after school snacks. My kids love them! They’re also great when you’re running out the door and realize you fed your family and forgot to feed yourself. #momlife
Speaking of healthy substitutions, I have seen people make their no bake cookies and other recipes with coconut oil instead of butter. This is totally fine and you could do this to make the recipe vegan. I happen to think a high quality butter is good for you (and delicious) so I use it! It’s all about what works for you and your family.
Let me know how you like my Chocolate Oat Bites by leaving a comment here on the blog or by tagging #kristensfixins on social media.
Looking for other quick snack recipes? Check out my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins!
Chocolate Oat Bites
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat peanut butter, maple syrup, butter, vanilla, and salt on medium heat. Stir until melted and just combined. Do not let it cook.
- Remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder and oats.
- Using a tablespoon (or a melon baller works great), place dollops of the mixture on cookie sheet. This should make about 20 bites.
- Let sit until cool enough to handle. Form into balls.
- Chill in the freezer until firm.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator. They taste best cold!